Monday, May 18, 2015

Celebrating 13 Years of Marriage



On the morning of my wedding thirteen years ago, I woke up extremely calm and excited aIl at once. I pinched myself  a couple of times thinking girl you are getting married today, and you leaving your hometown Port Elizabeth to a new life in the big Johannesburg.
 
I left behind my mom and sisters, family and friends and a great church that I was part of for most of my life. Starting over in a foreign place not knowing anyone was very daunting. Nonetheless this was the beginning of great journey that awaited Brandon and I as soon as we said" I do". We literally left it all behind, "Leaving and Cleaving"

A lesson that I learnt early in our marriage was to always stand as one, united no matter what the odds were, we had each other. We did not have much in material things but we had more than enough we had us. We settled well into our new home and soon after that we had to move to Swaziland for 9 months, another adjustment for us, but we made it work. We were determined and focused to build our lives together.
 
I think of the pearls of wisdom I was given at my bridal shower by aunty Mercia, she said you must make your house a home, you as a woman have the power to change the atmosphere the minute you walk into your home just by the tone of your voice, a lesson that stayed with me throughout the years. Young and married was an adventure, we had loads of time together,before the kids came along.
 
We faced challenges, we prayed, we cried, we laughed, through sickness and health, for richer for poorer. We are still learning in this amazing journey called  marriage. When times were hard and family far away ,we found family in friends and still have those people around today. We learnt how to appreciate each other and not take anything for granted.
 
Keeping the communication lines open at all times and forgiving each other quickly keeps the love tank full. Spending time together alone with no kids around is something we invest in, to keep the love alive. I can go on and on but I feel really blessed to have met such a wonderful life partner. We so different and yet we fit. We know it is only by the Grace of God that we are who we are today.
 
Thank you for reading and sharing in our joy, thirteen years and counting !!!
 
 
 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment